Masifundise is a civil society organisation with a long track record in the small-scale fishing sector. Its aim is to promote and advance human rights and Food Sovereignty in small-scale fishing communities in South Africa, and globally. Masifundise empowers fishers and community-based activists to become agents of change in order to achieve the objectives of the organisation.
Masifundise: Media and Communication Internship
Masifundise has an exciting Media and Communication internship aimed at strengthening our capacity and programme through enhanced internal and external communication.
The intern will have the opportunity to experience and learn about working in a civil society organisation with a long track record in the social and environmental justice sector, and be exposed to field activities and policy processes at national and international level.
• Assist with producing and updating the Masifundise website and social media with relevant content
• Assist the Programme Officers in producing a portfolio of audio-visual resource materials
• Assist the Programme Officers in the development and production of our newsletter (FishersNet) and other popular education material targeting inland and coastal small-scale fishing communities
• Keep abreast with contemporary developments in these sectors
• Assist in public relations work, including preparing and issuing media statements.
• Expand social media footprint of MDT on Instagram, Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter and Youtube
• Assist team with archiving of MDT media content
• Source written, audio and visual content to be used on MDT platform
• Must be in possession of, or in the process of completing of an Honours or Master’s Degree in Communication, Digital Media, Journalism, Public Relations, Social Science and related field or relevant experience
• Writing skills in English and at least one other South African language (Afrikaans, IsiXhosa or, IsiZulu is preferred)
• Digital literacy and good knowledge of Microsoft Office package, WordPress and Mailchimp.
• Knowledge in digital media/ design including the utilisation of graphic design tools like Canva or Adobe InDesign for page layout and brand enhancement
• Understanding of the usage of social media for Civil Society organisations
• Confidence and strong communication skills
• Decision-making and problem-solving skills
• Be creative and pro-active
• Organisational and time-management skills
• Ability to work in a team and under pressure and demonstrated willingness to learn new things
• Proven commitment to social justice
A stipend will be provided.
The internship will be located in Cape Town, South Africa and South African labour laws will apply.
To apply, please submit a CV and motivation letter with at least two contactable references, to email@example.com using the internship you are applying for as the subject line.
Closing date: 14 November @ 5pm. The internship starting date is 15 January 2024
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.