Masifundise is a civil society organisation with a long track record in the small-scale fishing sector. Its aim is to promote and advance Food Sovereignty in small-scale fishing communities in South Africa, and globally. It aims to do this by empowering fishers and community-based activists to become agents of change within their own communities, organisations, and social movements, as well as facilitating and strengthening participatory governance; enabling fishing communities to secure their social, economic, and political rights; and, promoting principles of social, economic and environmental justice and the right to autonomy and sovereignty of civil society.
We are currently looking to contract a part- time (10 days a month) experienced Project Support Officer to be based in the Northern Cape.
As a member of the Programme Team the Project Support Officer is expected to assist Project Managers with a range of tasks in fishing communities across three core Masifundise Programmes -Coastal Livelihoods, Inland Fisheries, and Capacity Building.
A central purpose of the job is to serve as a support to the Project Managers on various projects, identify and initiate partnerships with relevant stakeholders and ensure ongoing communication between the Masifundise office and fishing communities. Further to this maintain a positive and democratic public presence for Masifundise.
- Strong commitment to social justice and to building a progressive grassroots social movement;
- 5 years’ experience in similar (community – based) environment. Any experience in the fishing sector and / or in Food Sovereignty and will be advantageous;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to build partnerships;
- Innovative and flexible;
- In possession of a valid Drivers’ License;
- Computer Literate and able to produce reports;
- Competence in English and one other, isiXhosa, isiZulu and/or Afrikaans.
To apply for the position, please submit a CV with at least 2 contactable references, to email@example.com using “Project Support Officer” as the subject line.
Closing date: 28 February 2019.